Day 22

Friday, August 4, 2017

Day 22


Today was the research symposium for REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) students who have been working on a research project at RIT over the summer. I attended 3 of the talks about research in astronomy and cosmology. One of the presentations was about the technical aspects of creating a cryogenically cooled imaging system for use in a telescope. Two of the presentations referred to analysis of large amounts of data from the COSMOS database which is a sky survey created by Caltech that I had not heard of previously. The survey records data of over 2 million galaxies in a small 2 square degree patch of the sky. The analysis of data in these two talks were very interesting. One focused on the star formation rate in galaxies and how it changed over the timespan of the universe and the other talked about the galaxy merger rate of large galaxies.

I think I'm close to finishing the portion of my MATLAB program that I've been working on this week as I calculated an ABCD matrix transform of a beam but I still need to check part of it by hand to make sure it is giving the correct result.

No comments:

Post a Comment