Day 20

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Day 20


Today was Wednesday meaning there was a tech talk at noon today (the last one for the summer), which I attended. The talk was about a software system called DIRSIG that is able to simulate hyperspectral image data in many different regions of light to test imaging systems before they are deployed for use in remote sensing. The software is able to accurately simulate a variety of different scenes including cars, buildings, and geographical features in order to test the capabilities of systems for use on high altitude planes and satellites.

Later today I also assisted in Titus' research by acting as a test subject for him. I wore a set of eye-tracking glasses that recorded my eye movements and gaze position as I performed several activities. I first had to catch a tennis ball repeatedly that was bounced off the floor. I then had to walk around the second floor of the Carlson building and then be pushed on a cart in the same path around the second floor. Next we went to a different building at RIT to record my eye movements again as I took a path around the building (this time unguided) and then was pushed on a cart around the building. I won't say why each of these tests was necessary because it could bias anyone else who participates in the experiment to know the purpose and what Titus was looking for in the data beforehand. It was pretty fun to help with the experiment and hopefully I gave Titus some useful data for his project.

No comments:

Post a Comment